Teacher Bashing

Tuesday 15 July 2014

I'm bored to death and sick to the back teeth! This week 'teacher bashing' reached a peak in response to the strikes.

Personally, I am in awe of teachers. As a mother of four who finds it practically impossible to make them all go in the same direction in the supermarket, I haven't a clue how they make a class of thirty do ANYHING. They are akin to snake charmers.

Reflecting on my own school experiences  I imagine the job is a whole lot harder now than it was, due to society dictating that we abolish the 'fear factor' both at home and school.

'Parents are children's first teachers' and by the time I entered full time education I was in no doubt as to what was expected of me both behaviourly and academically. For the record, I met very few teachers who were scarier than my mother.

There was no blurring of the lines, they were bold and you didn't cross them. Everybody knew where they stood and whilst corporal punishment hadn't been outlawed, it was seldom used as often 'the look' was enough to put the fear of God in you and pull you back into line. You REALLY panicked if the teacher suggested they might need to speak to your parents. In retrospect, a caning might have been preferable to a daily ear bashing from my mum, 'I'm very disappointed', 'You've let the family down', 'I was so embarrassed'. Catholic mothers are guilt ninjas!

Anyhow, I digress, what's wrong with having a pop at teachers? After all they only work 9-3 ish, have an hour for lunch and are on holiday more than they are at work or at least that's what primarily the government fire, fuelled by the media, would have us believe. According to the headlines they are 'greedy' and 'lazy'. If the aforementioned job description were true, wouldn't we all be choosing a career in teaching?

I have friends who teach both primary and secondary and I wouldn't do their job for love let alone money. The planning, the marking, the tracking, the extra curricular activities, the residential trips and the placating of anxious, angry and often obnoxious parents consumes their 'free time' not to mention the box ticking that comes with any public led service. One of these friends is fondly known as 'Ken Barlow' for every time I speak to her she is poised to start 'marking'.

I recently posted a similar, more concise rant on Facebook in support of teachers and was shocked by some of the reactions. 'Why do they moan about pay, they know it's not well paid when they choose this career path'. In truth anybody who goes into teaching knows they're not going to be a millionaire: however they should at least make a living and know that in retirement they will be secure.

People in the private sector receive their bonuses and choose to spend them as they see fit. They have the option to not 'gold plate' their pensions, buy a new car or shave it off their mortgages! They fail to recognise that when public sector workers meet government set targets they DON'T get a bonus - they simply don't get a bollocking!

'Teaching isn't a vacation, it's a vocation', cheesy, but true. Teachers go out of their way to get the best out of our children, the service they provide is invaluable and as parents we should be supporting them not berating them.

If I were a teacher I'd be the first on the picket line and would be encouraging ALL my colleagues to harness their inner Scargill, spurred on by the recent Facebook posts from the Tory propagandists. The strikes will 'damage children's education, hurt the economy and disrupt the lives of millions', DERR, isn't that the whole point of a strike? This is the juncture at which parents should form a coalition with education professionals and stand united against those in power. Demand more for our teachers because it benefits our children.

Lastly, I have a sense of impending doom. After very little soul searching, I can attribute this to the long summer break which is galloping, at speed, in my direction. I have often joked about suing the LEA for 'detriment to my mental health' caused by not only the summer but ALL school holidays. However I recognise that they are a necessary evil. I would, in fact, be suicidal if the teachers didn't have the opportunity to re charge their batteries and failed to return in September. Should this ever happen and my children require home schooling, I fear they would learn very little! So hear, hear to all the teachers, more power to your elbow. In my eyes you all deserve a medal!